Child Support Process

Locate the Parent

To get an order for support, establish paternity or enforce a child support order, the Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) must know where the Parent Paying Support (PPS) lives or works.

If the PPS cannot be found locally, his/her social security number will be checked against the records of other state agencies including the Department of Health Services, Department of Motor Vehicles, Employment Development Department, Franchise Tax Board, Board of Equalization, credit reporting agencies, and law enforcement agencies. If the search reveals that the PPS has moved to another state, the other state and the Federal Parent Locator Service will be asked to search for the parent.

It may take several months to get child support if you do not know where the other parent lives or if the address is out of state. There is no guarantee the other parent will be found. The more information you provide to the Department of Child Support Services, the higher the chance for success in locating the PPS. The Department of Child Support Services will make every effort to locate the PPS.

Previous Step Next Step