Open A Case

Open a Case Online

A child support case can be opened by either parent or a legal guardian.

  • Individuals not receiving CalWORKS (government cash assistance/welfare) can apply for child support services by submitting an application. *See How can you apply for child support services? section below for application options.
  • Individuals currently receiving CalWORKS (government cash assistance/welfare) are automatically referred to their local child support agency for services.

Whether or not a child support court order exists, opening a case offers neutral assistance with every part of the process, keeps records, and helps both parties stay on track. If you do not have a case, applying for child support means your local child support agency will help you locate the other parent, establish legal paternity/parentage if required, get a court order and see that it is enforced in every state and many foreign countries.

When you request or are referred for child support services, you will be asked to provide information and/or documents to help establish parentage, to locate the Parent Paying Support (PPS), and/or get support payments for the child(ren). The Department of Child Support Services needs as much information as possible about the applicant, the other parent and the child(ren). The more information you know and provide to the Department of Child Support Services, the better service we can provide in collecting child support for you.

The following is a guideline on the type of information that the Department of Child Support Services will request to have provided:

Parent/Party Receiving Support (PRS) Information:

  • Full name, address, and phone number
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Name, address, and phone number of employer or former employer
  • Paycheck stubs
  • Tax returns for the last two years, including W-2 forms and 1099 forms
  • Existing child support orders
  • Marriage license
  • Divorce order or separation agreement

Child(ren) Information:

  • Each child's full name, address and phone number
  • Each child's date of birth and a copy of their birth certificate
  • Each child's Social Security Number

Parent Paying Support (PPS) Information:

  • Full name, address and phone number
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Name, address, and phone number of employer or last employer, union, or self-employment information
  • A recent photograph or physical description
  • The name and phone numbers of family and/or friends
  • Information about past involvement with the child(ren)
  • The names of any clubs or organizations they are involved with
  • Information about valuables, such as cars, motorcycles, boats, recreational vehicles, or other property
  • Copies of paycheck stubs, bank statements for checking, savings, or other accounts
  • Tax returns for the last two years, including W-2 forms and 1099 forms
  1. Open a Case Online
    • Online Application here
    • Enter all the information necessary to complete an application. Once completed, it will be automatically routed to the child support agency in your area.
    • Please plan to take 30-45 minutes to complete all parts of the online application.
  2. Apply In Person or By Mail
    • To apply in person or by mail, download and complete an Application for Child Support Services Packet (found below) and return it to our office at 251 E. Hackett Rd, Modesto CA.
    • Applications are also available on a walk-in basis at all county and regional child support offices.

Self-Service “Application for Support Services” Packet forms: English | Spanish